4C works towards sustainable coffee supply chains and improved livelihoods of farmers
4C certification applies high standards on economic, social and environmental conditions for coffee production and processing to establish sustainable, trustworthy and fair coffee supply chains
4C Compliant Coffee is coffee that has been produced in accordance with the 4C Code of Conduct, a set of baseline sustainable practices and principles for the production of green coffee beans. Compliance can be demonstrated through the 4C Certification System and the 4C Certificates that are subsequently issued. The responsibility for operating the 4C Certification System belongs to 4C Services GmbH.
News & Events
- 23 January 2020, Antigua, Guatemala, 4C Regional Stakeholder Conference
- 17 June 2020, Warsaw, Poland, 2nd 4C Global Sustainability Conference
Sustainability certification benefits consumers and producers
Prof. Dr. Gernot Klepper from the Kiel Institute for the World Economy discusses how certification meets the interests of consumers and producers with examples from the coffee sector.
Read more here
4C participates in the Sustainable Coffee Challenge
4C has become a partner in the Sustainable Coffee Challenge. This strengthens and confirms our commitment to promote deforestation-free coffee supply chains and to support initiatives to mitigate the climate change impact.
Read more here
4C Services becomes a member of the German Coffee Association (Deutscher Kaffeeverband – DKV)
We are happy to announce that 4C Services has been accepted as a member of the German Coffee Association (Deutscher Kaffeeverband – DKV). The membership starts 1st of May 2019.
Read more here
A coffee sector that places integrity at the center of its efforts to improve the economic, social and environmental conditions of coffee production and processing.
To provide the highest degree of quality, independence, credibility and innovation for our services to the coffee sector.
Create a sustainable future for coffee
The 4C Code of Conduct enables coffee farmers in 28 countries to participate in sustainable markets and profit from higher economic outcomes, improved and fair working conditions and the preservation of precious landscapes and biodiversity. To achieve these goals, the 4C Code of Conduct applies important criteria in the three dimensions of sustainability:
- Profitability and long term productivity
- Capacity and skill development
- Record keeping
- Access to services
- Market information and commerce
- Business integrity (transparent business practices)
- No discrimination (ILO Conventions 110, 111, 100)
- Right to childhood and education
- Freedom of Association
- Right to collective bargaining
- Working Conditions – Labour contract
- Working Conditions – Working hours
- Working Conditions – Wages
- Working Conditions – Seasonal and piece rate workers
- Working Conditions – Occupational Health and Safety
- Conservation of Biodiversity
- Use of pesticides
- Handling of pesticides and other hazardous chemicals
- Soil Conservation
- Soil Fertility and nutrient management – Fertilisers
- Soil Fertility and nutrient management – Organic matter
- Water sources
4C stands for reliability
4C is a trustworthy and secure system, relying on innovative technology and profound training to monitor the compliance and continuous improvement of participating farmers and partners along the supply chain.
We are happy to discuss individual solutions with you. Please get in touch and contact us directly.